Sunday, April 13, 2008

Yosemite

The week before Easter my sister, Jill came to town with her three kids for their spring break. On Thursday night Mom, Dad, Marianne and Devin came and on Friday we all went to Yosemite for the day. For some unknown reason I thought I had gone to Yosemite when I was a child, but apparently I had actually never been there (I was thinking of a trip to Yellowstone or something...). So this was my first time ever going to Yosemite National Park. Kind of sad considering we have lived in Fresno for nearly five years, a mere 90 miles from the park. Nevertheless, it was a gorgeous day and we had a lovely time, reminiscent of many family outings we took when I was young. We even had four of our six siblings together, so that made the day even more special.

It was freezing in the morning (literally - like 30 degrees) when we first arrived, but it warmed up as the day went on. Below is me and Emily at Bridal Veil Falls (sorry you can't see it in the photo). We could feel the mist blowing on us even from this far away.
We stopped for lunch near the river. Emily and her cousin Tyler had a great time throwing rocks into the water. Something about rocks, water, throwing...it's magical for kids.
Dad brought the "Nelson barbecue," a mini charcoal grill that I believe he fabricated in high school. It has been the best little thing for cooking hotdogs and roasting marshmallows during all our family outings over the years.
This time we got fancy and made banana boats. I had never heard of them previously, but basically you take a banana, slice it open, fill it with marshmallows and chocolate chips, wrap it in foil and then set it on top of hot coals until the chocolate and marshmallows melt. Kind of an interesting combination, I thought, but again, the kids loved it. My personal favorite is plain old roasted marshmallows...golden brown on the outside, gooey goodness inside. YUMMM!

No comments: