Thursday, August 13, 2009

Our Baby Boy


Great Grandma Boam looking for the dimple chin.

First off I don't blog or post anything on our family blog, lets add to that I'm not very good at writing things, but I wanted to give everyone an update to how we welcomed the newest member of our family: Lukas Ryan Boam.

Yesterday we went to the Hospital at 6AM for a scheduled induction. After sitting in the waiting room for a couple hours (they didn't have beds available) they let us go home, and said that they would call. It wasn't long after we arrived home that they called us back.

When we finally got into the room the Doctor arived not too long after to start the labor by breaking Amy's water. Contractions started pretty spaced out but after a few hours started lingering on more than a normal contraction. This was when all the fun started.

We noticed that blood was being discharged and notified the doctor. When he took a look at Amy he said that the placenta was detaching itself from the uterus. Why was that bad well because it was going to be a short amount of time before the baby would stop receiving oxygen. How short, I'll just say it took about 5 minutes from the time the doctor exaimined Amy to her being in the surgery room for the c-section. It wasn't but a couple of minutes after they put Amy in the room that I heard our son's first cries.
Everything happened so fast; it was a big indication to me to how serious they needed to do the c-section. About 3 minutes after I heard the cries they came out with our son. I went into the nursery as they cleaned and measured and did all those things they do when a baby's born.

He is a healthy 8lb 8oz, baby boy, 21.5 in long.

Amy was put to sleep, no epidural during the c-section, so she had a rough time coming out of it before the pain killers kicked in. Once those pain killers kicked in she had a hard time staying awake. She slept all the rest of the day and last night while the nursery took care of Lukas.

What can I tell you about Lukas besides sending the picture well he's a big pooper, much more than his sisters.

9 comments:

Elise said...

OH he is so cute! I'm glad everything turned out alright! Congratulations on your new little addition of BOY! :)

Melissa L. said...

Congrats, guys! Good luck recovering from the C-section, Amy. They're no fun. :( He's super cute, though! Tanti tanti auguri!

The Hanks Family said...

Congrats Boam family! You will love having a little boy in the family with all the little princesses.

amanda said...

Congratulations! He is adorable! I'm glad everything worked out.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the story Kevin, love the pooper comment at the bottom, I'm so happy for you guys! Can't wait to meet him (hopefully sooner than later)!

Kelly said...

Congratulations Amy and Kevin. I am glad your doctor was on top of it and Lukas was delivered safely. He is big too. Can't wait to meet him.

Mama Aya said...

8lbs 8oz... Goodness! Congratulations and I wish you a restful recovery, Amy!

In a few months, you have to tell me if having 3 is easier than 2. That's what I've been hearing lately.

Michele said...

Congrats on a beautiful baby boy- and a big one at that!! I'm so glad everything turned out alright, if Amy needs anything while she's recovering just let us know. Have fun with your new bundle of joy...
P.S.- My little boy was a pooper too- maybe it's a gender thing??

SusieQ said...

Auguroni! Hooray! I'm so glad that everyone is healthy despite the scariness. He's adorable!